Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Classically Catholic Memory~ Gamma Year Week 1




Religion~
This week, we talked about What is the Church? We recited the question and answer everyday. I dictated the answer for the kids to write down in the religion  notebooks. We talked about Baptism, the Seven Sacraments, and the Pope.


Geography~
The Seven Continents


We labeled the CCM map the first day. The rest of the days, I had the kids point to the map and say what the continents were.
We did worksheets daily to reinforce the location and the spelling of the continents.

Continent Worksheets We Used
Super Worksheets
Crayola Worksheets
Worksheet Works- This site is great because you can show what you wanted included. You can have the continents labeled, oceans labeled, both or none at all. I chose to not have anything labeled and used it as a quiz for my kids!

Science~
Atoms



We did various science experiments to introduce the kids to atoms and matter.





We read about Atoms in our Focus On Middle School Chemistry Student Textbook (softcover)
We watched Bill Nye the Science Guy DVD about atoms.



History~
Christopher Columbus, Vasco da Gama, and Ferdinand Magellan

We checked out a DVD from our library called Explorers of the World: Christopher Columbus. It's geared for grades 5th-8th grade.



A DVD geared for younger kids that would be great is Columbus: Adventures to the end of the World from CCC of America.



We filled in our explorer notebooking pages from Homeschool Share. We traced the routes of the explorers and added the maps to our history binder.
For fun, I had the kids create their own map of the New World. We used brown paper and watercolors.






Latin~
Salve Regina

Everyday we listened to the Cd from CCM. We would sing along with the Chant Kit Cd after practicing the 2 lines we were learning. We bought this Cd set last year and have loved it. You get two discs and a book with the words to the prayers and hymns. It is a hit with Lego Man since it is monks singing, so no high picthed notes. It's very easy for everyone to follow along...even non singers.

I created a worksheet for the kids to put the Salve Regina in order. I also created a Hail Holy Queen worksheet, so they could match up the Latin sentences with their English meanings. I want my children to know the Latin prayers, but I also want them to understand what they are saying.

Math~
Since my kids are older and have mastered or almost mastered the multiples. We just listen to the Cd for reinforcement.

Great Words~
The kids have started working on their Christopher Columbus poem. I gave each one a copy and told them they are responsible for memorizing it. We go over it two times during the week, but I want them to take charge and learn it on their own. At the end of the poem, I will have child recite it. I offered a prize to them if they have it down pat....a trip to Sweet Frog's!




2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and love all of your ideas for CCM. Did you end up using it for the whole year last year? I am about to start Gamma with a 9 and 11 year old. I am trying to figure out how to work in review of previous weeks and wondering if you had any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We finished up Gamma and are now doing Delta this year. I'll be posting about it throughout the year. I never did review of the previous week. A lot of CCM repeats in the years. The timeline and most of math repeats every year. Since we are doing history in a classical way, I never worried about reviewing. I knew my kids would be cycling through it again. You could have them listen to the CD summaries each week for review.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Instagram